I know how it is. You’re on the fence. Or if you’re more like me, you might be procrastinating. But it really is time to register for the 13th annual Kentucky Nonprofit Leadership Forum on October 27-28. Why? There are lots of great reasons but here are my top five.
- Breakfast with the Candidates – yes, you heard it right! KNN has confirmed that six of the seven candidates running for Governor, Attorney General and Secretary of State will join us for a breakfast event prior to the Forum on Tuesday, October 27. This is a MAJOR opportunity for us to hear how these candidates envision the role of the state’s third largest industry in their plans for Kentucky and even more importantly, a MAJOR opportunity for us nonprofit leaders to be present and send the message loud and clear: I work for a nonprofit and I VOTE!
- Celebrate Innovation and Leadership! The Forum awards luncheon on Wednesday, October 28 will honor the winners of our annual awards: FoodChain of Lexington, Innovative Nonprofit Award; Wendell Strode of the National Corvette Museum, Distinguished Nonprofit Leadership Award; and Dr. Whitney Jones of the Colon Cancer Prevention Project, Outstanding Board Leadership Award. Celebrating these recipients is a highlight of the Forum you don’t want to miss!
- Excellent sessions! Each year, it’s our goal to put together an agenda that provides you with timely and relevant sessions to keep you up to date, in the loop and on top of your game as a nonprofit leader – and 2015 is no exception! I’m thrilled to have fundraising expert, Kim Klein join us – she’s been on my list of speakers to host for years. Janet Ogden-Brackett with the Nonprofits Assistance Fund is going to share critical information we need to start fully understanding and better communicating the true costs of running our organizations. There are too many other great sessions to mention here, but I’m so pleased with the variety of topics and the quality of our speakers – a truly great investment in your professional development and your nonprofit.
- Networking! Attending the annual statewide convening of nonprofits in Kentucky is an important opportunity to connect with your colleagues. Whether it be to share ideas, find a listening ear, gain access to new resources or form a new collaboration – visiting with old friends and meeting new ones is a great feature of the Forum and another important investment in your career and your organization.
- We like seeing you! Seriously. Connecting with our members and potential members at the Forum is fantastic! Our communication with most of you is typically by email or phone, so the opportunity to meet and visit in person is a treat.
I know that taking time away from the office is tough to do and the investment of resources to register and travel may not be easy. I also know that in 12 years, I’ve not heard from a single nonprofit leader who has attended the Forum and not felt it was worth the investment (and if you are out there, I do want to hear from you)! Please take the time today to register for the Forum and the Breakfast with the Candidates event – both are an investment in you, your nonprofit, and our sector. I look forward to seeing you there!